Ok, the weekend’s over, Blog Swap and Hop was a blast and now it’s time to get back to business. We’re onto Chapter 4 of our Daily 5 Book Study-Kindergarten Style. My good bloggy bud, Krissy, over at Mrs. Miner’s Kindergarten Monkey Business is hosting this week.
She’s offered up some guiding questions to help us through . . .
1) How far into the school year do you think kinders need to be to be able to begin the process of Read to Self? What is realistic? When do you plan to begin implementation?
2) How will you make sure that each child views him/herself as a reader (whether they are reading words or not)?
3) What are some ideas you have about “Launching Read to Self” in kindergarten? How will you go about it and what are some ways to make sure it is “kinder friendly”?
4) How will you/do you build the children’s belief that this IS important? What can we do to encourage the ones who do not value it and create disruptions for others?
5) How valuable is Checking In and Reviewing with kindergarteners? How often will you do it? When will you do it? What are some different ways to “check in”?
6)What are some problems that can occur during this problem (either that you anticipate with your kinders OR that you have experienced)? How can we be proactive about these issues?
She also reminds us to remember that we are looking at how we can make this work in kindergarten. Can you think of any suggestions or ways you can see this happening with your sweet kinders as they run through your doors this fall? Let’s talk about those fears and anxieties (you bet I’m biting my nails).
Can’t wait to hear what you come up with.