Well, I made it through the first week of school. In one piece and with my wits still about me. I call that a ‘win.’ I’m trying to get myself in some kind of routine to post my plans for all of you. Slowly but surely, I’m making my first attempt of the year. It’s a bit tough when your class is still in the ‘learning procedures and routines’ stage and when you start school about three weeks later than everyone, but for what it’s worth, here is a peak at my up-coming week. I’m linking up with Deedee at Mrs. Will’s for her weekly peek, so make sure you click on the link at the bottom of the page to see others’ great plans too.
I started Math Stations on Day 2 of school this year, and I am sooooooo pleased at how well my students have gotten into the routine and the procedures and steps for each activity. This will be the 2nd week of stations (it takes about 3 weeks for everyone to work at each station twice).
We are still working on building stamina for ‘read to self.’ So at that station, I have an activity for them to use instead. Once they build stamina to 15 minutes, I will implement read to self as a permanent station for them.
I also have an extra Word Work station in place of ‘Read to Someone,’ because my students just aren’t ready for that for several months. Once they are, I will replace Word Work 2 with Read to Someone.
Also because it is only the second week of school, I still have some assessing to do and will not start differentiating these stations for another week or two unless I see they are ready for it sooner.
Here’s a quick overview of Monday and Tuesday Daily 6 Stations:
1. Work on Writing – Back to School Write the Room (I have an adult walk them through this first together before letting them go out on their own.)
2. Listen To Reading- I have individual reading bags with personal CD players, a book, clipboard, pencils and crayons. We won’t start response to listen reports until a bit later.
3. Word Work 1 – Back To School Play-doh Letters. These are the same picture cues that are used in my Early Learners Alpha books and Charts.
4. Read to Self- Since we aren’t ready for this quite yet, my students will be working on Back To School Linking Letters.
5. Meet The Teacher-This is the time that I will be doing guided reading. We won’t be quite there for a while so I will be working with students on the Early Learners Alphabet Chart with Magnets at this station.
6. Word Work Station 2- Back to School Bingo Dotter Letter Fun.
And so then Wednesday-Thursday Schedule of events are the following: